Repair Information, Electrical
So far the area of repair that has consumed the most time has been the electrical system. When I got the M home, these were a few of the things I found that needed attention:
- Wire connections. Many were made with some
terrible 3M crimp style connectors that simply came apart with any vibration
at all. The wipers worked intermittently on the way home due to this.
- Old original Ford fuse block. This thing has been
a pain. Instead of using a new fuse block the PO reused the old
one. This resulted in some bad fuse connections between fuses and
sockets due to corrosion. I've added a marine (boating) style fuse
block and have rerun many circuits and added new ones using this new block.
- Electronic speedometer added. When I got the M
there was no speedometer in it. Since the frame is based on a Ford
F150 4X4, finding a speedometer cable that had the right connectors on both
ends would be difficult. Plus the military speedo only goes up to 60
MPH which was fine when the truck was in original configuration, but now
that it's capable of normal highway speeds a top-end of 60 MPH isn't
enough. Add the bigger tires into the equation and the answer was
putting in an electronic speedometer. I used one of the AutoMeter®
units and it worked well.
- Dash gauges and lights rewired. I've replaced almost every gauge in the dash, so while I was at it I rewired the whole thing. Click the image below for a full size diagram of the wiring.
Click here to return to the main page.